If you think that cross-country skiing is just for older people, you're wrong. Cross-country skiing makes everyone fit and is one of the most effective endurance sports. Whether classical style or skating - the rhythmic movements optimally stress muscles and cardiovascular system. Cross-country skiing is not a matter of age and is one of the healthiest sports ever. The good thing about it: according to one's own claim, everyone can choose the right speed and terrain for them. Whether fast gliding with pronounced lunges or slower ski hiking - depending on the cross-country technique and pole use, the effort is dosed differently.
- Cross-country skiing is highly tolerated by the joints due to its high dynamic and low static load. It requires almost every single muscle in the body; next to the legs especially the arms and the trunk.
- As with all endurance sports, regular exercise not only strengthens the muscles but also begins to melt fat deposits.
- Blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen uptake in the blood are positively influenced.
- People with vein problems should always pay attention to sufficient exercise - cross-country skiing in winter is ideal.
- Cross-country skiing is relaxing - if you're feeling stressed and longing for recovery, try skiing. The same movement rhythm in a wintry, quiet landscape calms the nerves and makes the head free again.
Prerequisite is the joy of cross-country skiing and a sufficient basic stamina. Asthmatics must be careful: Due to the possible cold, cross-country skiing can only be recommended to a limited extent here. You should refrain from running a cold or a flu.
The right clothes and ski equipment
The dress should protect against cold and therefore best consist of three layers:
- The layer on the skin should isolate and transport the sweat away from the body, preferably through so-called functional underwear.
- The intermediate layer should be made of cotton, wool or fleece.
- The outermost layer should protect against wind and moisture, be breathable and not sit too tightly. With adjustable ventilation openings on the wrists, neck, waist and below the knee, you can adapt to the weather conditions.
Cap and hood on the anorak as well as gloves must not be missing either. The gloves should preferably have a leather inner hand, and wrinkle-free and tight fit. This way, there are no bubbles on the hands. For the right one skiing gear Let yourself be advised by the expert, as the individual requirements of the runner are important. So z. B. the ski equipment can be tuned to the weight of the cross-country skier or the pole length adjusted to the size and Langlaufart.
Do not forget: sunglasses
To protect the eyes, we recommend a pair of sunglasses that ensures the appropriate UV protection and at the same time protects the eyes from drafts. Attention: Snow blindness - also here can be prevented by a pair of sunglasses. The snow blindness (keratoconjunctivitis photoelectrica) causes an irritation of the eyes due to the strong reflection of sunlight in the snow. Symptoms include sore and irritated eyes and extreme photosensitivity. For the treatment of snow blindness an ophthalmologist should be consulted. Usually, the disease heals within 2 to 3 days; but it can also cause permanent damage.