When the intestines go on strike, that's a taboo subject for many. This can often be the cause of malaise and listlessness. But there is help: With gentle means from nature, the disturbed digestion comes back into balance.
Constipation can have many causes - remedial on the gentle route
According to a publication of the "Ärzte-Zeitung" about 15 percent of women and 5 percent of men have problems with digestion, the frequency increases with age. But the number of unreported cases is high, because only a few people visit the doctor. It is estimated that over 70% of the German population is affected by indigestion (constipation or constipation).
Who does not have to "daily" but has long since no constipation. The range of what is still considered normal is much larger than many suspect. Doctors only speak of chronic constipation when you need to use the toilet less than three times a week, the result is usually hard and little and the problems last longer than three months.
This all leads to constipation
If the intestine goes on strike, it can have several causes:
- Wrong diet with too much fat and too little fiber is one of the most common reasons that lead to digestive problems.
- Little drinking is another cause of the "strike in the gut".
- Lack of exercise also affects the bowel and makes it sluggish.
- Slimming diets lead to pseudo-constipation: If the amount of food is reduced, the intestine just takes longer to fill up.
- For all who take medication, it is worth taking a look at the leaflet. Iron-containing preparations, psychotropic drugs, hypertension, painkillers, sleepers and dehydrators may cause constipation as a side effect if taken on a continuous basis.
- Also, diseases such as diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, some cancers, depression, Parkinson's disease or low blood pressure come as a cause in question. Therefore, in case of persistent digestive problems always see the doctor.
- Often, however, the trigger lies in the lifestyle of those affected. Hustle and stress block the intestine or leave no time for going to the toilet.
Better on the gentle tour
But now just do not resort to laxatives. With continuous use, they have significant side effects. In addition, they trigger even with constant use of digestive problems, rather than permanently solve them.
Of course it's always best. Prerequisite for a good digestion is a healthy intestine. This is where the gentle means and methods come in. It is very important to eat high fiber and drink a lot.
Dietary fiber - the colonizers from the service
Fiber keeps the bacterial flora in the gut in healthy balance. But they also stimulate digestion. At least 30 grams of fiber should be included in the diet every day. This is easier to do than many think. Just three slices of wholewheat bread, one serving of potatoes or whole grain rice or pasta, salad and vegetables and two servings of fruit daily ensure the desired intake.
Those who have previously eaten little fiber, starts with small amounts and increases it slowly after getting used to. Very important: fiber needs liquid. Therefore, drink at least two liters a day.
Natural aid against sluggish bowels
In addition, eight proven tips and home remedies that naturally and naturally bring the digestion to life gently and effectively:
- Dairy products: yoghurt, sour or buttermilk have a positive influence on the intestinal flora and have a laxative effect due to the lactic acid contained in them. Also good: sauerkraut, especially as raw food.
- Milk sugar: The well-tried trick from Grandma's medicine cabinet. Milk sugar (such as Edelweiss) naturally stimulates the intestine and activates both the beneficial gut bacteria and the intestinal motility (peristalsis), which provides better transport of the intestinal contents. Start with 10 grams daily, slowly increase the dose to 40 grams.
- Dried fruit: soak dried plums, figs or apricots on the eve, eat breakfast in the morning.
- Linseed: Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons 2 times a day into yoghurt, cereal or compote. Caution: flaxseed loses its effect when it is crushed, cooked or baked.
- Wheat bran: Start with 1 tablespoon daily, then increase to 3 to 4 tablespoons the following days. Important: drink plenty of fluids. Can be mixed well with muesli, yoghurt, bread dough, meatballs, soups and sauces.
- Good Morning Cocktail: Drink a glass of cold water or fruit juice before breakfast. This stimulates the desired reflex in the intestine. Especially effective: stir in one to two tablespoons milk sugar.
- Hot water bottle: put on the stomach in the morning so that the stress-prone intestine can relax. Soothing music or yoga also relax.
- Massage: Even in the morning massaging the abdominal wall in a circular direction has a positive effect on digestion.
Exercise gets the intestines going
And finally, a half-hour, strenuous walk every day brings fitness and well-being, as well as the digestion proven momentum. The same effect is cycling, walking, jogging or swimming.